Friday 6 February 2015

The Fairytale Hairdresser and Snow White by Abie Longstaff and Lauren Beard (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

  June 2014, Corgi, 32 pages, Ebook, Personal copy,

Content: fairytale, humour

Snow White has fled from the palace and the wicked queen is on her trail. With the help of seven musical dwarves, a magic mirror and a dashing doctor prince, can Kittie Lacey save the day?

Snow White has fled from the palace and the wicked queen is on her trail. With the help of seven musical dwarves, a magic mirror and a dashing doctor prince, can Kittie Lacey save the day? - See more at: http://www.randomhousechildrens.co.uk/index.php/Books/?book=The+Fairytale+Hairdresser+and+Snow+White&ean=9780552567770#sthash.LoBlvFkf.dpuf
Nayu's thoughts
This is the book which changed my view of Snow White forever. I hadn't seen the Disney version for well over a decade, and I all I can remember is that I didn't like it. Since I'm a huge fangirl of Abie & Lauren's cute Fairytale Hairdresser series, I knew if anyone could change my mind it would be them. And they did! I finally like Snow White. I understand how evil the queen is, that she isn't essentially weak, she just hasn't had the opportunity to stand up for herself. With help from Kitty, the dwarfs and other characters this Snow White manages to do that ever so well.

Snow White is sweet, gentle, & has spirit. The trademark Snow White outfit is used – black hair, yellow skirt, blue top, and Lauren's cute and colour designs make it my favourite version visually. I liked the story twist that Abie used to make it not just another Snow White tale – it was in perfect tune with the nature of the hairdressing aspect of the series. In my fangirl way I sighed happily over seeing all the fairytale characters I know and love appearing sometimes in the background, or sometimes with Snow White and Kitty the hairdresser. This book & the rest in the series are a joy to read and will brighten my bookshelf for years to come.

Find out more on Abie's website and  Lauren's website 

Suggested read
Check out the other books in the series including The Fairytale Hairdresser and Sleeping Beauty (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E) 

2 comments:

Catherine said...

We're huge fans of The Fairytale Hairdresser series :)

Nayuleska said...

Yay! The more the merrier.