Thursday 12 February 2015

Deadly Spells by Jaye Wells (Urban Fantasy, 9/10E, semi short 'n' sweet review)

I'm not that fond of the cover, thankfully I don't judge books by them!
 12th February 2015, Orbit, 400 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Content: adult themes, drugs, alcohol, fights, 

Book Summary
 After the grisly murder of a dirty magic coven leader, Kate Prospero and The Magical Enforcement Agency team up with the local police to find the killer. When a tenacious reporter sticks her nose in both the investigation and Prospero's past in the covens, old ghosts resurface.

As the infighting between covens turns ugly, an all-out war brews in the slums of Babylon..

Nayu's thoughts  
Spells can be deadly, but as Kate knows they can be mildly irritating and helpful too. I liked how murder, politics and family issues plagued Kate as she fought evil each day. There were times when it got a bit too dark for my liking, and some of the language and situations are on the mature side, but overall I enjoyed Kate's attitude to life, including her quips which frequently made me laugh along with the banter she shared with those she works with as well as her friends. 

The type of magic within the book is relatively new to me, as I haven't read all that many urban fantasy stories despite enjoying the genre. The different magical factions were fascinating, replicating the concept of gangs in our own lives, yet with a magical twist that complicated Kate's life. This being the first book I've read about her, and the 3rd book in the series there was obviously back story which I didn't know. However within a few chapters it felt like I'd known Kate and her friends forever, making it a pleasure to read. 

Find out more on Jaye's website

Suggested read
For more Urban Fantasy fun check out Magic in the Blood by Devon Monk (10E/10E)  

No comments: