Tuesday 4 November 2014

Dead Man's Cove by Lauren St John (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E, semi short 'n' sweet review)

Content: danger, mystery, some funny moments, 

Summary from Orion
2-in-1 edition of the first two stories in the BLUE PETER AWARD-winning mystery adventure series about Laura Marlin, an 11-year-old ace detective.

Orphaned Laura is sent to live with her uncle in Cornwall, convinced that a life of adventure is hers at last - and everywhere she turns she's confronted with mysteries. Is Tariq, the shopkeeper's silent son, a friend or an enemy? Why does her uncle seem intent on erasing his own past? And why is everyone so afraid of Dead Man's Cove?

And in KIDNAP IN THE CARIBBEAN Laura Marlin has no idea that her dream holiday to the Caribbean might cost her and everyone she loves their lives, as they come face to face with pirates, a volcano and hungry sharks.

Nayuleska's thoughts
Typically I read Kidnap in the Caribbean ages ago in a separate volume, which I adored, but I thought I had it reviewed here which is why I didn't re-read it. I already knew reading about Laura, her family and friends was enjoyable. I got to learn how she stumbled into her adventures. This book is AMAZING! 

Having read it, and some of the others, I think it has the most oomph and drama. I'm not saying the others don't, but this one seemed more dramatic, more action packed with high stakes constantly throughout the book, rather than periods of some quiet which are more frequent in the other books. I'm definitely going to reread this, it gave me shivers when Laura finds out certain plot revelations, it had me on the edge of my seat metaphorically and unable to put it down. I'm glad that more books are coming out in the series, I don't want Laura's adventures to end! 

Find out more on Lauren's website.

Suggested read
For another fun read with thrills and a little bit of danger check out So You Think You Babysit Monsters? by Leslie A. Susskind (Children's, 9 years +, 10/10E) 

No comments: