Friday 10 October 2014

Daisy and the Trouble With Sports Day by Kes Gray (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E)


July 2014, Red Fox, 320 pages, Paperback, Review copy  

Themes: School, sports day, playing, 

Content: oodles of humour 

Daisy's getting into trouble again, and this time it's at her school Sports Day! Daisy's determined to win her race, and she and best friend Gabby have been training hard. They're going for gold! They're in the zone! They're sticking to a strict athlete's diet of Mars bars, Twiglets and cheese strings! Trouble is, everyone else in the class wants to win too . . .

Nayu's Thoughts
I remember picking this off my review shelf because I wanted a light, funny read, which I know I get with the Daisy series. Daisy is Daisy. Some of the things she does makes me cringe - the good girl in me would never do those things, although the rebel in me giggles away because the incident is funny. Daisy definitely deserves a prize for clever thinking - if she focused on positive actions she'd do brilliantly and not get in so much trouble. 

Her sports regime - including the crazy diet - reminds me why I love children's books: without the knowledge that comes through experience and maturity, what children can come up with can be a sweet and funny take on life. I'm quite sure a lot of athletes would love to eat Mars bars all the time! Unfortunately that it is not part of their regime. I don't think being an athlete when she's grown up would suit crazy Daisy, but until then her antics will continue to brighten my day - and many other readers too! 

Find out more on Kes's website

Suggested read
More Daisy reads include the full colour readers aimed at newer readers with every picture in colour such as the double story Peas and Tickles (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: