Sunday 15 June 2014

Burn Out by Robert Swindells (Young Adult, Reading Age 8 years +, Dyslexia friendly, 9/10E)





January 2014, Barrington Stoke, 72 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Themes: getting into crime, exhileration of breaking the law, addicted to arson
 
Content: Arson,

Summary from Barrington Stoke
Josh can’t seem to do anything right - until he is suddenly invited to join the area’s most infamous gang. They light fires and cause some serious damage – and Josh is hooked from the first flame. But when things start getting out of control, who will get burned?

Nayuleska's thoughts
Wow. This is an incredible read. You're probably wondering why I haven't given a book that had me hanging on to every tense word full marks. I feel I can't, because I wanted Josh to get caught. I know he ends up with the harshest sentence at the end, but that isn't enough. I wanted the people whose property he wrecked get some compensation. His so called logic with the lure of setting things alight being wonderful didn't make sense to me. 

I can see how so many teens can easily get into trouble with one simple unknowingly wrong decision which Josh's friend makes for him. It was interesting to get into an arson's mind, as well as being scary for how passionate Josh is about his 'hobby'.  for sure will be reading more of Robert's work in the future!

Suggested read
Another thrilling read from Robert is Snapshot (Young Adult, Dyslexia Friendly, Reading Age 8 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: