Friday 9 May 2014

I Love My Cat by David Chuka (Children's, Picture book, Non-Fiction, 8/10E)



February 2014, Pen-n-a-Pad Publishing, 43 pages, Ebook & Paperback, Review copy


Themes: types of cats
 
Summary from Amazon UK (at the time of writing this review the book wasn't on David's website)
This cat book for kids was created for young children between the ages of 2 - 6. You and your loved ones will fall in love with the cute cats in this book.

Your children will have fun discovering the names of different breeds of cats that are accompanied with interesting facts.


In this book, children will first of all see a certain breed of cat which is depicted in a cartoon image and then on the next page, they will discover a cute photo of that cat. This is animal book is one that your loved ones will love reading again and again as they'll want to see if they can remember the names of all the cats. 


Nayuleska's thoughts
I honestly had expected more of a story, hence the not perfect grade. Despite the book being different to my expectation it was an,enjoyable read. I liked how each cat spoke to the reader in first person point of view - having a cat I know how chock full of personality they are, making it the purrfect purrspective to write from! (Puns intentional!) Even better, something you can't tell from the front cover, every cat has an illustration of what they look like plus after the reader is invited to guess which type of cat they are there's a photo of that type of cat. 

Readers will come away with an idea of the types of fur, personalities and quirks of several cats, which hopefully will want them to research other cats too. One of my cats who is no longer with me was a mongrel but looked like a Russian Blue (all grey). I would love to have Himalayan or a Persian cat-maybe one day! I am a fan of rescue centre cats, which is where I got my latest cat from. They need extra affection and patience if they suffered trauma, may not be a specific breed but they are a joy to be with.

Find out more on David's work on his website.

Suggested read
My favourite book from David so far is Kojo The Seadragon Gets Lost (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

No comments: