Saturday 1 February 2014

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E, semi-short 'n' sweet review)



 This edition November 2009, Egmont, 144 pages, Paperback, Personal copy

Please note my version of this book is totally different, but I couldn't find what I needed online so I'm using this version - the stories at least are the same, the illustrations could well be different

Summary from Egmont
Inside the little house in the Big Woods live the Ingalls family: Ma, Pa, Mary, Laura and baby Carrie. Outside the little house are the wild animals: the bears and the bees, the deer and the wolves. This is the classic tale of how they live together, in harmony mostly, but sometimes in fear...

Nayuleska's thoughts 
It's been years since I read this book, and the magic hasn't faded at all. I lve the simple, hardworking life Laura and her family lead. The food theyr have sounds delicious and wholesome-I've always wanted to try sugar snow- maple syrup on fresh snow, or corn in milk, or the bits of cheese Laura's mother makes...there is so much lovely food! I've always been fond of crafts made by hand, and Laura's parents make almost everything for themselves so they are mostly self-sufficient.

They are a caring family who have strong religious values and who have fun too. Sure, there can be big events like a dance where loads of families gather and Laura gets into a squabble about which baby is prettiest, but there are the daily smiles of Laura's father playing the fiddle at night and relating what he has got up to that day. They aren't perfect-Laura was and still is my favourite because she got into trouble like I used to. Her sis Mary seems perfect, whereas Laura speaks without thinking or acts on impulse. I
remember not understanding why Laura was so upset over having brown hair - everyone may like Mary's
blonde hair but I never did. Sure, I liked the sound of Mary's pretty clothes, but Laura's (both had clothes
made by their mother) appealed more to me.

This is a series that I'm eager to reread the rest, taking me back to my childhood where I had different
favourite places to read from now. Back then I loved reading on the non-existent swing and on the top of the stairs. Now I both prefer and need the comfort of the sofa. No matter where I sit the story is still brilliant! 

Suggested read
Another series I read when I was little was the ballet series which starts with Ballet For Drina by Jean Estoril (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E)
 

No comments: