Thursday 30 January 2014

Savage by Nancy Holder and Debbie Viguie (Young Adult, 10E/10E)


Not all that keen on this cover, the others were good
 December 2013, Doubleday, 336 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Content: minimal teen romance, bit of violence, some pretty guesome parts, some scary parts, perfect end, tissues needed.

Who do you run to?

Out in the forest, tensions are blazing like forest fire. The ancient rivalry between the Fenner and Gaudin packs has reached fever pitch, and only a battle will quell the blood lust.

Katelyn is caught in the middle, her pack loyalties tested like never before. The person she needs the most – strong, sexy, loyal Trick – has no idea about her dark secrets. And while werewolf wars are raging, the Hellhound is still out there, stalking her every move.

It’s time to take control. It’s time to get savage.

Nayuleska's thoughts
About 1/5 way through the book I nearly stopped reading because the appearance of a new player in the complex game which isn't a game that Kat is in took me out of the realms of believability. I thought Nancy and Debbie had lost the plot, it seemed such a ludicrous thing to happen it didn't feel right for the story. Boy was I mistaken in those early thoughts! I'm thrilled I kept going, if only at the time because I love the earlier books and wanted to know the truth.

I nearly set the book down about 1/2 way through because it was so scary crazy it was almost too much. There's are several reasons why I'm reading Young Adult sparingly, and stories becoming too gritty and intense is one, yet something kept me reading until...

...SQUEE!!! The plot twist which turns everything upside down for both me as a reader and most definitely Kat. I was so proud of how she handles every new revelation, how she digs deep and finds immense inner strength to get through the crisis. She is supported by unexpected characters, several are not what they seem to be, and she also relies on herself when she's too confused to trust anyone else. She listens to her human and wolf instinct, both which serve her well. There are more mega revelations, although after the first one which I had to tweet about the impact of them was reduced a bit because I kind of expected more insanely twisty plot turns. They are still epic, and the way the book ends definitely leaves me hoping this isn't the last we will see of Kat-I hate how I can't squee over what happens to her because I'd reveal huge spoilers which I refuse to do. I can safely say this series is staying on my bookshelf! 

Find out more on the dedicated website.

Suggested read
Check out where Kat's crazy life begins in Wolf Springs Chronicles Unleashed (Young adult, 9/10E) 


and where it continues in WolfSprings Chronicles Hot Blooded (Young adult, 9/10E)

No comments: