Saturday 23 February 2013

February Reviews: Children's, Picture books


This week here on Nayu's Reading Corner is going to be a bit different review wise. Looking at my calendar, I've been ill most of the year. I have about 30 reviews to write. If I kept to my normal style, that would take ages. I've already removed the 'themes' part of my reviews until I'm caught up. However even doing that will still take a while. I hate having a large backlog, and I'm more inclined to spend too much time blogging instead of resting. 

So here's my solution, which is called a compromise. I'm grouping reviews by genre (roughly) and doing one or two line reviews. I will still include the blurb & the all important cover picture, as those are rather essential. I won't include themes, suggested books to read next and author info - those take a fair bit of time to do. 

The books I'm reviewing today are all children's picture books! Let's get reviewing! 


My First Book of Words: 100 First Animals 
March 2013, Little Tiger Kids, 10 pages, Hardback, Review copy, 9.5/10 

Summary from Little Tiger Kids
With 100 engaging and colourful photographs, this thematically arranged board book is the perfect introduction to the animal kingdom, developing vocabulary and word-picture association in the very young.

Nayuleska's thoughts
So many different animals,the hedgehogs were particularly adorable. Lots of room for discussion about habitat, which animals are similar - the reader is asked questions on most pages. Lost 0.5 of a grade because one snake is given a specific name, then the next snake is just called a snake instead of having which type of snake it is as its name.)
   
My First Touch & Trace: Count 123 
March 2013, Little Tiger Kids, 26 pages, Hardback, Review copy, 10/10

Summary from Little Tiger Kids 
Each page of this interactive counting book incorporates large, grooved numbers, complete with directional arrows, for children to finger-trace. Lift the flaps to discover what's underneath and practise counting.

Nayuleska's thoughts
The way the reader is tested on the numbers throughout the book and at the end is clever. A lot of the illustrations are cute and made me go aww

My First Lift and Learn: First Colours 
 March 2013, Little Tiger Kids, 10 pages, Hardback, Review copy, 10/10

Summary from Little Tiger Kids 
This simple left-the-flap book of colours works hard to support your child's development. Most importantly, it makes learning fun.

Nayuleska's thoughts 
The pink cupcake became my favourite page - I wonder why! The handle at the top of the book is extremely sturdy.

Socks by Elizabeth Lindsay & Nick Sharratt
7th February 2013, Picture Corgi, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy, 10/10 

LAUGH YOUR SOCKS OFF!

Stripy sharks and woolly crocs,
Purple dogs with polka dots!

What can YOU see made from SOCKS?
 

Nayuleska's thoughts
Bright, colourful and loud, this will bring delight to old and new sock lovers. I smiled at every page.

Farm Babies by Liz and Kate Pope
March 2013, Little Tiger Kids, 12 pages, Hardback, Review copy, 10/10 

Summary from Little Tiger Kids
Young children will love sorting the baby farm animals and slotting them into place alongside their mummies and daddies. This jolly little farm book with jigsaw pieces is ideal for developing motor skills and improving hand-eye co-ordination.

Nayuleska's thoughts
An inventive way of getting readers involved in learning about farm animals. The child I passed this on to absolutely adores it. 

Mummy and Baby Farm by Samantha Meredith
March 2013, Little Tiger Kids, 12 pages, Board book, Review copy, 9/10 

Summary from Little Tiger Kids
Open up this bright board book to see the mummy and baby farm animals having lots of fun together. With cute and colourful illustrations, this is an ideal book for children learning their first words. The easy-to-grip handle makes this the perfect book for toddlers.

Nayuleska's thoughts
A cute read about farm animal mothers with their children. I had thought there might be some text other than saying who the animals were.

Stop That Egg! by Helen Poole

March 2012, Little Tiger Kids, 14 pages, Board book, Review copy, 10/10 

Summary from Little Tiger Kids
Hen is snoozing peacefully when her egg suddenly rolls away. Follow Hen on a fast and flapping chase as her precious egg bounces and rolls around the farm. Can anyone stop the egg before it hatches?

Nayuleska's thoughts 
A hilarious tale with a sp-egg-tacular end (That pun was waiting to happen!))

Always and Forever by Debi Gliori and Alan Durant

7th February 2013, Corgi, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy, 10/10 

When Fox dies the rest of his 'family' are absolutely distraught. How will Mole, Otter and Hare go on without their beloved friend? But, months later, Squirrel reminds them all of how funny Fox used to be, and they realise that Fox is still there in their hearts and memories.

Nayuleska's thoughts
A compassionate read about all aspects of death - I cried over most of the pages!

I Love You, Mummy Duck by Dawn Richards & Heidi D'hamers

7th February 2013, Corgi, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy, 10/10 

Summary from Random House Children's Publishers Australia (RHCP UK website wasn't playing ball.)
 It's Mummy Duck's first ever Mother's Day and when Little Duck takes her on a special picnic, they dream about their perfect day together. Would it be a room full of cakes, a garden party, a visit to a chocolate factory? Soon it's the end of the day though and they haven't done any of the things they've thought about - will Mummy Duck have had a lovely day after all?

Nayuleska's thoughts
A perfect read for all mothers/female guardians, portraying what love can be like between mother and child, as well as fun activities to try out. It emphasises what the most important part of love is.


I hope you like this temporary, different style of review. I'm going to implement it whenever I'm ill, to take the stress out of blogging. I can be a bit of a perfectionist, and this is my way of saying it's ok to do things differently.

No comments: