Wednesday 3 October 2012

Spike in Space by Malaika Rose Stanley (Children's, 7 years +, 6/10)



August 2012, Tamarind
118 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: moving house, starting a new school, cyrogenics (being frozen alive and thawed out later), the complex relationship of siblings, being different, not understanding anything, running away, eavesdropping, good advice, lots of alien concepts, lots of weirdness, some humour


Want a story that's full of ALIENS and MONSTERS, and horrible, out-of-this-world smelly POO?

Then meet Spike! His adoptive family are from another planet, and now they're taking him to live with them in SPACE!

Can he survive a new school, a horrible bully and a deadly attack from a hairy monster?

Nayuleska's thoughts

I really enjoyed the first book in the series, but sadly I couldn't get to grips with this. I did enjoy how Ali and Spike's relationship as siblings was portrayed, the various misunderstandings and jumping to conclusions.

I think because everything was alien to Spike it was too hard for me to grasp it all. (With little energy it can be tricky for me to grasp plots when I'm tired). I loved the different subjects and pupils at school. I found the wildlife too weird, and the terminology (especially the word for day) didn't always sound right for me and didn't flow smoothly. The overall good feeling at the end helped this book get 6/10.

Check out more on Malaika's website.

Suggested read
Definitely check out book 1 Spike and Ali Enson (6th book down)


No comments: