Tuesday 21 August 2012

Chrysalis: Trepidation by M L Lacy (Young Adult, 8/10)

 
June 2012, Createspace
452 pages, Ebook & Paperback 
Review copy

Themes: magical education, living with vampires, evil scary beings, visions of the future, serious peril, learning not to mess with annoyed family members, not being taken seriously, revealing maturity, some moderate adult romance, some innuendo, some gory parts,

Summary from Amazon.com (I'm not an affiliate and don't get anything from mentioning them)
A rollercoaster ride from beginning to end, the saga continues as Bree races against time to save the human and magical realms from the evil plans of her arch nemesis, Esmeralda. Esmeralda isn't letting any dust settle as she gains another's help in her quest to capture the last, and most powerful, Chosen One. A traitor becomes known as another becomes an ally. One's life is uncertain while another's ends. And the fifth of Bree's Special Seven is revealed. in this fast paced continuation of the captivating series, Chrysalis


Nayuleska's thoughts
Bree is back! As is her large and oddly linked family. I loved feeling as though I knew everyone, I felt so comfortable reading it (minus some blushables that I skipped). Bree's powers are most definitely growing. I wish I could have some of them, yet her control can be patchy so its probably a good thing I don't get to freeze time or call objects to me. Bree feels quite restricted by her family, but learns a huge lesson when things go wrong and I feared for her life.

The 'however' part of my review is that the pace slowed in the second half of the book. I got a bit bored by some of the descriptions which really needed an extra purpose for being there, as they felt like it was telling rather than showing. The action wasn't as fast paced as it has been in earlier books of the series, and time dragged as I read it, which is why it gets 8/10 from me.

You can find out more on M L Lacey's website.

Suggested read
Be sure you've read the other books in the series including book 2 Chrysalis:Tribulations

No comments: