Tuesday 24 July 2012

Rapture by Lauren Kate (Young Adult)


21st  June 2012, Random House Children's Publishers
425 pages, eBook, audio book
Review copy 

Themes: all aspects of love and hate, finding yourself, finding exactly where you belong, realisation, tough decisions, not having a clue what's going on, deception, heartache, tragedy, rebellion, delving into Abrahamic faiths (ideals of heaven, hell, God, angels, the Fall, redemption, forgiveness etc) a little violence, mild teen romance (very mild), lots of tissues needed. 


The sky is dark with wings . . .

And time is running out for Luce and Daniel.

In order to stop Lucifer from erasing the past, they must find the place where the Fall began. Only Luce can break the curse, and it is her choice alone that will decide all of their fates.

But as Dark Forces gather, great sacrifices will have to be made in this final, epic struggle . . .

In the fight for Luce, and for Love, who will win?

The astonishing conclusion to the FALLEN series. Heaven can't wait any longer

Nayuleska's thoughts

I loved Fallen, although on rereads Luce annoyed me a little. Passion....I didn't like for personal reasons. Plus teen angst really bugs me at the moment (hence why I'm reading happier books most of the time). I fully expected to strongly dislike/hate Rapture. I truly did. I only read it because I wanted to know how the series ended (and hopefully would be able to laugh at how ridiculous Luce is moping over Daniel. 

I was so wrong. 

As soon as Rapture started reaching areas for me which aren't quite right if they are thought of as reality (religious wise) then I was seething But, and it is a big but, I then got swept away by Lauren's writing. I loved Luce because she was less angsty. She was making huge, life-changing realisations about herself that made me her feel more mature. The way she looked at life made sense and didn't have me wanting to bash Luce over the head with the book. 

I was buzzing with joy when things went right. A character called Dee made me laugh, especially with a comment about walls. My growing nervousness as Luce got closer to the end was close to matching when I'm most nervous in life. I kept holding my breath as I turned each page because I was terrified of what would happen to Luce. I was crying when major events happened (this is me avoiding spoilers) I didn't see the plot twists coming - not at all. Perhaps a sentence or two before they happened, but no sooner than that, which meant the impact was huge. 

At that moment, when the biggest plot broke out, I knew I was no longer mad with the series as a whole. It was just so...right. It felt right for Luce to be Luce. (Another spoiler avoidance thing) an angel. I loved how everything was finally explained, and I understood it all. I don't necessarily like how some things were protrayed in the series, Yet I think that Lauren will make readers think about the spiritual side of life. They might investigate what they believe in. I know I'm checking out more about Islamic angels, that's for sure.

For a while I thought that the end wouldn't be all that dramatic, it was initially presented. But x happened and Luce did y I was as scared as I am in the dark (very scared). I have to stress how emotionally caught up I was in Rapture. It was quite incredible. I was a little disappointed that Cam didn't have a bigger role - I had an idea about him but that didn't come to anything (I'm so not good and pre-empting plots like these)

At one point I was considering giving my copies of the series away. I couldn't because I had some signed, but I still considered about it. I think I was over thinking the religious parts, thinking that they were an idea or truth of house things are. Religion is one of several subjects which is can be hard to discuss. However, I mention how I feel about it here because  Rapture made me change my mind. I realised that what happens in the series is just a concept, not actually 'what happened'. Within the concept, the growth of Luce makes total sense. It's a staggering conclusion, quite mind blowing. I want to go back and read through the series again, seeing everything more from Daniel and Cam's eyes, knowing everything I do about all the characters, and especially what happens to Luce. The subtle and not so subtle hints throughout the story will be fun to pick out in this 9/10 read (I have to take 1 point off for the elements I'm not keen on).

You can find out more on Lauren's website

Suggested reading

You have to read the rest of the books in the series which start with Fallen.

and continue in Passion (during which I wasn't so fond of the series)  


No comments: