Sunday 26 June 2011

Someday's Dreamers #1 by Norie Yamada, Kumichi Yoshizuki





Tokyopop
Paperback
Personal copy

Manga, fantasy

Magic, helping others, apprenticeship, exams, living away from home, city life, friendships, a lot of humour

Book Blurb
Yume desperately wants to follow in her mother's footsteps and become a magic user in the worst way! She innocently practices using magic to help the people she encounters; struggling soccer players, the wrongly incarcerated, and a student who wants to show his moon-loving teaching a lunar eclipse on a cloudy evening. On this coming of age journey filled with genuine imagination and a passionate sense of awe, follow Yume as she learns that the true magic of life can take place right inside her own heart. 

Nayuleska's reasons for loving Yume....I loved her in the anime version of this manga, she wants to change the world (like me), is really enthusiastic and passionate, and is still learning her magical boundaries. 


How evil/nasty is the enemy? There isn't really an enemy here, other than Yume's sweet ability to get a bit carried away when she wants to help people out.

Are there plenty of plot twists and surprises? Yes - although if you've watched the anime you know the story, which is kept mostly true to form in the manga! So I did know what was happening next, and it was very emotional to read about Yume's adventures.

One of my favourite parts was...when Yume was so passionate she dropped to using her home dialect - it was a cute scene.

I give this 10/10! Illustrations are beautiful, and it's a funny manga. I would like to mention that Tokyopop is no longer in existence (as I only found out this week) - noooo! Good thing I like getting manga from Japan!

Check out the other books I've read so far for my Manga Reading Challenge

Suggested reading
On a similar theme, but using different characters and different storylines, there's Someday's Dreamers: Spellbound 1

No comments: