Sunday 19 July 2009

Daughter of Fire and Ice, by Marie-Louise Jensen



February 2010, Oxford University Press
325 pages
Proof copy
Childrens, 12+

Cushions: 3/5
Paperclips: 1/5 (nothing happens, relations are intimated).
Smiles: 1/5
Tissues: 3/5
Overall rating: 5+/5 (I'm cruel to post a review this early. Don't worry, this will reappear next year!)

I have to smile: It's only now as I look back at the title that I believe I figure where it came from. Daughter of Fire and Ice tells the heart-warming tale of Thora. Stolen from her family by a Viking chieftain who wasn't taking her away for a life of luxury, fate intervenes in the form of a slave. Taking on the slain chieftain's identity, the slave takes Thora away with the rest of the chieftain's men, setting sail for Iceland.

The journey isn't smooth sailing. Although the friendship between Thora and the ex-slave deepens, a cruel incident sets them apart in their lives. Forced to live with each other, while unable to be even friends, Thora sets her resolve on surviving as the group settle to a harsh life, filled with poison, murder and treachery. I promise the end isn't a complete unhappy ending; I enjoyed it because its bittersweet nature is a true reflection of how life was then, and how life is now.

Everything Thora endures, I, as a reader endured. There were a couple of areas of the story where I wanted to give her a slap and tell her to pull herself together, but I feel this was more her character, still a teenager (although in those days teens quickly became adults). She shows great courage by clinging to what needs to be done, at times when all she wants to do is weep at her circumstances. The pacing is even, with a mixture of fast and smoother sections. Such was the strength of compassion woven by Marie-Louise's writing that I actually cursed, out loud, when something very precious was taken from Thora.

Just as her other two books, Between Two Seas and The Lady in the Tower, the level of research shines through the ease of reading. Particularly good is how Thora and the people she lives with react to natural phenomena. The customs of two different people are integrated well - I had my suspicions about the ex-slave's origins, and was pleased to be proven half-right.

This isn't just a historical tale - there is an element of fantasy here too. For Thora, as well as being a skilled herbalist, has visions and can read auras. It's a talent she keeps quiet about, but serves her and the people she lives with well.

Another outstanding book from Marie-Louise Jensen. Go write it in down in the calendar, so you don't miss out on it.

Marie-Louise Jensen's website is found here.

2 comments:

Rebecca Herman said...

This book sounds really good! I'm jealous you got to read it so early.

Nayuleska said...

It's brilliant. I'll repost the review just before the release date. I'm very lucky to have read it so early. I love it!