Sunday 19 July 2009

Silver Phoenix, by Cindy Pon


2009, Green Willow Books
338 pages
Personal copy, won from here
YA

Cushions: 3/5
Paperclips: 0.5/5 (minimal romance)
Smiles: 2/5
Tissues: 3/5
Overall rating: 5+/5

This book combines three of my loves: fantasy, female protagonist, Chinese/Japanese fiction. Excited only mildly described how I felt at winning this. The gorgeous cover (look at the way those sleeves fall) pulled me in, as did snippets of the story that I discovered online.

Silver Phoenix is the story of Ai ling. Unmarried, and unwanted by suitors, she looks set to marry an unpleasant man (again, putting it mildly) who insists her father has a debt with him. Unable to prove otherwise with her father away, Ai Ling runs away from her mother, and the creep, to find her father. However, that reason is only half the story. For Ai Ling has a magical power, one which she initially has little control over. It warned her of the creep's true intention, and helps her as she journeys with Chen Yong who also is searching for a family truth. It is Chen Yong who saves her from drowning after a run-in with a powerful, evil entity in a lake.

And yet, there is more to the tale. Somehow, I won't reveal how, Ai Ling's journey relates to the Emperor's court many years ago. This journey takes Ai Ling to the Emperor, and sees her fighting for her life against what I personally feel is a deluded spirit. Danger lurks in most of the chapters here - I reluctantly had to put the book down for the necessary act of sleep. The interweaving of fantasy elements with political intrigue produces a gripping story that should be on everyone's bookshelf.

My only wish is that there were more pictures of the clothes worn in this book.

I'm eager to see what other books Cindy Pon will write, drawing on the vast world of China. I hope there's another story about Ai Ling. Check out her website.

1 comment:

Danyelle L. said...

Except for the blushable parts, I really liked this one. :D