Thursday 7 May 2009

The Lady in the Tower, by Marie-Louise Jensen (Young Adult, 10E/10E)

2009, OUP 336 pages

Content: mild romance, a little violence, tissues needed

For the observant among you, this is the second book written by Marie-Louise Jensen which I've reviewed. I unashamedly say this is my favourite so far.

Set in the 1800's, at the time when Henry the Eighth was making his way through his wives, Eleanor's life is turned upside down when her mother is arrested on accusation of witchcraft. She's taken away from her daughter, and locked up in a tower, with only the chaplain visiting her.

The story evolves around the fiesty Eleanor, who isn't like other girls. She can't sew well, she adores horse riding (and jousting), and isn't afraid of taking care of herself. Inevitably this gets her into trouble, not really the best idea when people are aware that she's trying to free her mother, but the end is most satisfactory. If you want to see what happens when a betrothal is forced upon here, go read the book!

Eleanor's spirit shines through the story. I'm glad I had several hours in a row to read this, because my tummy somersaulted, tightened and leapt for joy at so many places that there wasn't a good place to stop. Just when I thought things were improving, suddenly a plot twist appeared. Eleanor suffers a great deal in this story. She gets betrayed, makes mistakes which could harm others, yet somehow keeps a sense of humour throughout it all. She reminds me an awful lot of myself, although she does have slightly more courage than I do.

Unlike the last book, the ending wasn't a total surprise for me – I'd had my suspicions throughout the book, and was happily proved right. I want to read more about Eleanor, and her future life. She's so plucky that its not fair to keep her adventures to one book.

Prominent places/characters: well, its set in England and I've actually visited a few of places mentioned in the book so that adds an extra dimension when reading it. Some characters are down-right evil, others are two-faced, and thankfully some are friendly and likeable.

Summary: great for the action loving, fiesty heroine readers. Add in horses and fine costumes, and this reviewer is extremely happy.

Marie-Louise Jensen can be found here.

Liked this? Try Daughter of Venice.

2 comments:

Danyelle L. said...

Yay for no paperclips!
*eyes towering TBR list*
*adds one more*

Nayuleska said...

lol! Awww Dani, yeah my list keeps growing.