Monday 19 August 2024

Review: Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie (Classic Literature, Children's, 9 years +, 6/10E)


 June 2018, Penguin, 160 pages, Paperback, Personal copy

Summary from Penguin

'All children, except one, grow up.'

It was Friday night. Mr and Mrs Darling were dining out. Nana had been tied up in the backyard. The poor dog was barking, for she could smell danger. And she was right - this was the night that Peter Pan would take the Darling children on the most breath-taking adventure of their lives, to a place called Neverland, a strange country where the lost boys live and never grow up, a land with mermaids, fairies and pirates - and of course the terrible, evil, Captain Hook. Peter Pan is undoubtedly one of the most famous and best-loved stories for children, an unforgettable, magical fantasy which has been enjoyed by generations.

Nayu's thoughts

I've grown up with the tale of Peter Pan, saw and disliked the Disney version. It is very firmly in my mind as I attended Great Ormand Street Children's Hospital, who has the rights to anything to do with Peter Pan. I adore the Disney Tinkerbell movies, but never read the actual original book published in the early 1900s, so when the friend I read classics with suggested it I hopped on board and spent July reading about Peter's tale chapter by chapter. 

I can tell you a summary: Peter is in fact a villain not a hero, I felt sorry for Hook and the pirates, Wendy had a lot on her hands but for the most part enjoyed playing mother and taking care of everyone. Sure it's not the most politically correct tale, but written over a century ago what do you expect? I didn't realise that Peter actually kills pirates. Like hunts them down and murders them. Admittedly they want to murder him, but he is so nonchalent about it, and feels it is normal! It is very not normal to kidnap children to have playmates and be taken care of. He doesn't even look after them that well on the journey to Neverland! 

I have a very low view of him, and while I'm thankful I have read the original novel, I don't expect I will read it again. The dog Nana is adorable, the children's parents are a bit eccentric but they stood by their beliefs. And Peter...lives on, forever kidnapping girls to take care of him, although after Wendy at least some had time limits on how long they could be away from home. Tinkerbell is a little madam, and not very likeable so for that I do thank Disney for creating a cuter, kinder version. 

Suggested read

My favourite classic read is A Little Princess by Frances Hodgson Burnett (Children’s, Audio book, 9 years +, 10E/10E) 


 

No comments: