Sunday 18 August 2024

Review: The Summer I Saved the Wild by Rachel Faturoti (Children's, 9 years, 8/10E)

July 2024, Hachette Children's, 320 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Book summary from Hachette Children's

 Thirteen-year-old Kamaria lives for nature and dreams of attending an eco-camp abroad. But Kamaria’s overprotective parents worry about exploring in her hometown, so how likely is that? Then summer is turned upside down by a visiting cousin who isn’t shy about bending the rules …

When strange mythical creatures appear to Kamaria, desperately seeking her help, she knows she must find a safe haven for them. Can the cousins put aside their differences to help each other do what they love? And will Kamaria find her voice to make a change?

An empowering heartfelt love-letter to the natural world, inspiring everyone to believe in being the change they seek. You can make a difference!

Nayus thoughts

I have to say the only reason it didn't get full marks is because I'm not fond of save the planet type reads - I read a shorter blurb and didn't realise the central theme. This may seem unfair but I don't love these types of reads as it's a theme that's been around decades, which is important but it's not one super important to me. Often I find it depressing as the ones that can make the changes, the goverment, don't do enough. I recycle and that's enough for me. Anyway...

What attracted me to Kamaria's tale was the notion that her parents are super protective. They absolutely monitor her every move, yet thanks to her newly arrived cousin she does get some more freedom, although there is a price to paid and not all of what she does is positive. I loved how complex her family dynamics were, with the aunty she loved the most dead and an absolutely horrible one alive and in her home making her feel bad. 

Kamaria is full of spirit, and all she wants to do is save the world which is a noble cause, even if I get personally tired of it. I liked the concept of the adventure game she gets to take part in, I am amazed her reluctant parents let her participate somehow they did. So much drama happens because of her cousin and aunt, it's such a comfort to Kamaria to dive into her nice deceased aunt's diary, which reveals a whole new realm of life that is a) very real and b) appears to Kamaria at unusual moments. Kamaria has more than one nature area to save, and with various restrictions it is hard work and feels impossible at times. She never gives up, and she doesn't freak out at the other-world-y goings on. It's certainly a summer she will never forget, one where she grew a lot personally, and learned some sad truths about her family, but formed stronger bonds (eventually) and I hope the rest of her life is just as magical. 

Suggested read 

If you like magical tales with adventure try The Girl The Cat, and the Navigator by Matilda Woods and Anusker Allepuz (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E) 


 

No comments: