Tuesday 20 August 2024

Review: AdelAIDE by Melinda Salisbury (Young Adult, Reading Age 8 years +, Dyslexia friendly, Thriller, 10E/10E)

 1st August 2024, Barrington Stoke, 144 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Summary from Barrington Stoke

Freya desperately wants to be a famous influencer, like her former best friend, Hye-jin, but no matter what she does, her posts flop. Until Freya’s stepdad arrives home with AdelAIDE, a home-assistant robot.

It quickly becomes clear that AdelAIDE is much more powerful than other home-assistant technology, and the thing AdelAIDE wants most of all is to help her new owners. Especially Freya.

AdelAIDE has lots of ideas to help Freya boost her profile and get more likes and followers. But when Freya starts to follow AdelAIDE’s more radical advice, things quickly spiral out of control …

Nayu's thoughts

Hot on the heels of 1st book Echostar I absolutely wanted to know what happens to Freya whose family welcomes the allegedly helpful piece of technology into her home. Because of all that went on in Echostar I was already on the edge of my seat and wondering what Mayhem would befall Freya. I felt sorry that she was falling into the trap of wanting to popular. She changed so much of herself because of AdelAIDE and almost none of it was for the better. I like when ads on my phone change to things I've been looking at, but the thought of devices listening in is so creepy.

Worse than her every move being monitored was what AdelAIDE wanted Freya to do. Freya was veering into getting a criminal record! Something that would seriously impact her future more than her drastic appearance changes. Her friends noticed the difference in her personality and it was interesting to see how they interacted with her. I loved watching the drama unfold page after page, and it seemed to get more horrifc the further I read. I am so hyped for the next book in the series, The Foundation out March 2025. I can't get enough of this series! 

Be sure to check out Melinda's website

Suggested read



No comments: