Saturday 24 November 2018

Don't Call Me Princess! by Kate Evans (Children's, Picture book, 9/10E)

 October 2018, New Internationalist, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Summary from New Internationalist
A children's picture book which takes down the concept of 'princess'. Well-known cartoonist Kate Evans takes a punchy pop at six classical fairy tales: The Princess and the Pea, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White, Beauty and the Beast, Rapunzel and The Little Mermaid. A sassy child narrator chooses six well-known fairy tales involving princesses. With simple rhyme and lively pictures, she takes the stories apart with incredulous humour and charm. This is a book to inspire children and adults of all ages to think beyond the superficial.

Nayu's thoughts
I absolutely adore fairytales, minus the kissing side, so was intrigued about the girl in this book who wasn't keen on traditional tales. While part of me agreed with her analysis of the various tales examined, that the girls tend to be taken advantage of by others in the story, and their roles are sometimes ridiculous, there's part of me that loves the originals and always will! I won't apologise for that! 

I do think it is important that the reality of certain fairytale elements are looked at and talked about: guys shouldn't ever just kiss a girl under a spell - that's not really good for her or him. Equally it is a more mature theme than I'd expect for a picture book, but I think older readers will read between the lines and get this theme while younger readers will see their kind of fairytale princess be a strong role model. 

The only reason the book doesn't get a perfect grade is because the illustration style of the girl isn't one I'm fond of: I'm sorry but for me in picture books the style really matters! However I can see the quality of the illustrations and the pictures do suit the parts of the story. I like how the illogical parts of fairytales are picked out and examined: me, I'm happy suspending belief and just letting fairytales be fairytales. 

Find out more on Kate's website.

Suggested read
For fairytales with a difference check out a book in my favourite picture book series: The Fairytale Hairdresser and the Little Mermaid by Abie Longstaff and Lauren Beard (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

No comments: