Friday 23 November 2018

Look by Fiona Woodcock (Children's, Picture book, 9/10E)

 September 2018, Greenwillow Books, 32 pages, Hardback, Review copy

Summary from HarperCollins
LOOK!

It’s a book!

About a brother and a sister and their trip to the zoo.

What makes it special?

Here’s the scoop: every word in this story contains the letter pair OO.

Ooh! Cool! Woo-hoo!

Nayu's thoughts
Books are often full of words which mean a lot of things. This one caught my eye because every word and concept on each page uses the double oo letter in book. There are quite a lot of these words which seem to describe activities that can be seen and done in a day, including breakfast food, getting ready for bed and what's in the sky at night, thereby subtly promoting the importance of a daily routine, something I find useful as an adult. 

The illustration style which to me looks like a combination of watercolours, crayons and/or colouring pencils produces a variety of textures to look at that match the subject of the page. My Favourite page had to be the panda one, which had lots of pandas doing different things: someone in my family adores pandas so they are kind of special to me. I liked  how the different types of animals that can be in a zoo are shown having fun. This book will be going to a local school who I know will love this style!The grade is simply because while really cool the illustrations aren't my favourite style (sorry). 

Find out more on Fiona's website.

Suggested read
Another fun picture book involving a zoo which has been read so much by the school I give books to it is in tatters even with lots of sticky tape is  Poo in the Zoo by Steve Smallman and Ada Grey (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E) 

No comments: