Saturday 17 November 2018

Dara the Dormouse and Online Danger by Fuschia Phlox (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 August 2018, 55 pages, Ebook, Review copy

Book summary
Dara the Dormouse lives with her family in Finlay's Forest. She learns about Internet safety and escapes a Pine Marten.

The Dara the Dormouse stories are sweet but cautionary rhyming tales designed to educate children about bullies, stranger danger and road, swimming and online safety and use their imaginations and English language skills. 

It also teaches the traits of resilience and empathy and introduces children to wildlife and flowers. 

There are quiz activities in the back of the books encouraging kids to make up stories, pick up an instrument and think about nature and wildlife.
 

Nayu's thoughts
I'm a sucker for adorable pictures, and the moment I saw Dara I knew I had to read her tale. She and her family are so cute guys, the illustrations made my heart warm and fuzzy, even if the story had some unpleasant danger in. The internet is a large place, and like any physical place in the world unfortunately the internet has it's own dangers. Dara's experiences show readers, especially younger ones with less experience, that being online can be dangerous, and they must always tell an adult if they see something they don't  like. Simple measures like only going online with an adult around is one way of reducing potential unpleasantness, as is an adult using a family friendly programme which won't let users go on anything inappropriate. 
I grew up with the internet, really being interested in it when I was a teen. Even then it was back in the days of dial-up, not broadband, where going online meant the telephone line couldn't be used. It was one or the other, not both. My grandfather was forever grumbling when he couldn't get through because I was online! Back then I was able to search on Amazon with my parent's permission on my own to choose books I wanted to read. Now I wouldn't necessarily let young teen me do that, because unfortunately even with filters against adult content I still see things that I'd rather not see, and that's on what should be an innocent shopping experience. As an adult it can be hard to take in what I see, I can't imagine what it must be for a child, which is why books like Dara's tale are so important to spread the word on internet safety and help younger users be aware of how to stay safe in the vast online world. 

Suggested read
Other internet safety themed reads include a book I haven't reviewed here but have read many times: Polly Plays her Part by Anne-Marie Conway

 

No comments: