Wednesday 25 July 2018

Jiddy Vardy by Ruth Estevez (Young Adult)

June 2018, ZunTold, 450 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from ZunTold
Jiddy is a survivor.

Rescued at birth, Jiddy grows up in Robin Hood's Bay, a community which harbours a dangerous secret, one that could get you killed.

Always the outsider, with her dark skin and hair, at sixteen Jiddy is clever, brave and headstrong, soon risking her life and freedom to play her part in the Bay's clandestine activities.

Then, just as romance blossoms and Jiddy finally feels like she belongs, figures from the past threaten to tear her world apart, and she has to decide where her loyalties truly lie.

Nayu's thoughts
A few of you may have noticed I haven't graded this review - that's because it's more of a feature, not a review as originally intended. I tried hard to like this book, but it's written in a style which is unique in a good way, but simply not my kind of read. I can see the level of research that's gone into this historical read, and the quality of the characters and the story (I read a few chapters) is extremely high. I do recommend this highly, it's just not quite for me. 

It's quite an honest read, it doesn't edit anything out in the childbirth scenes which are at the start, something I found refreshing and appreciate the quality. It may not be to my taste but I wanted to share it with you, because you really should read it for the spunky women (& I guess the men) who I had the pleasure of meeting before I reached my decision not to do a full review. That and I do like Robin Hood themed reads! Especially if the protagonists are girls.

Suggested read
Another historical read which Jiddy Vardy reminded me of in tone is The Curious Tale of the Lady Caraboo by Catherine Johnson (Young Adult, 9/10E) 


No comments: