Sunday 21 January 2018

Beware the Mighty Bitey by Heather Pindar and Susan Batori (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

 November 2017, Maverick Books, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Maverick Books 
Deep in the jungle, in the still waters of the Nippy Pool, listening, lurking, waiting, live the Mighty Bitey Piranhas! Mouse, Goat and Bear play some music for them but the Mighty Bitey have other, more scrumptious things on their mind!

Nayu's thoughts
I accepted this book for review without seeing the cover - the synopsis on it's own had me smiling away and intrigued! I find piranhas cute just as I do crocodiles, they tend to be used in picture books with humour so my imagination was running wild. The story is awesome! 

The piranhas are as hilarious as I'd hoped, their expressions and thoughts as they tempt animals to go on their falling apart bridge was clear to see and funny, with lots of great words and different fonts used to bring the story even more to life than it already is. Their hungry nature is depicted perfectly, with a surprise end that I didn't see coming, which is always a pleasant surprise in picture books. I'm not sure how much the Mighty Bities would want their tale publicised, but I certainly want everyone to read it! 

You can see more of Susan's artwork on her website - she has a cat which is always a plus in my view!
 
Suggested read
The other Maverick title I got alongside this book is the fun Bonkers About Beetroot by Cath Jones and Chris Jevons (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)

No comments: