Thursday 20 July 2017

Huggabugs by Rachel Bryant (Children's, Picture book, 9/10E)

Smile!
 April 2017, Pegasus Publishers, 25 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Pegasus Publishers
Meet the Huggabugs from Weedy Wood! 

These little creatures can fly! They wear glasses too because they think they look nice!


One day the Huggabugs go to see Grandma Huggabug. They take her some eggs for breakfast. Would you like to find out what the Huggabugs do when they get to Grandma's house?

Nayu's thoughts  
It wasn't a surprise to read that Rachel wrote and illustrated this in the 1980s-I was drawn to the illustration style because ot reminded me of my childhood-I was an 80s baby. The huggabugs look warm, welcoming and indeed they are, taking good care of the grandmother huggabug. I like the values the book promotes about helping others who need it and being practical about matters. 

The huggabugs look adorable, especially with the pencil shading on their tummies which changes colour a bit, the way their noses match their colour scheme, their cute tiny wings (which they can fly in but don't) and the blades of grass-I draw mine in a similar fashion but never considered swiping down (so its like an upside down tick) on some of the tops so the grass looks bent from the wind. The only reason I had to lower the grade (I am sorry) is that the story felt a little disjointed to me, that it needed an extra sentemce or two to explain what was going on. Otherwise it's a fun read that will be cherished by many readers.

Suggested read

No comments: