Wednesday 14 September 2016

The Snow Globe by Jane Ure and Charlie Alder (Children's, 8 years +, Dyslexia friendly, 10E/10E)

Amazing cover!!!
July 2016, Barrington Stoke, 80 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Barrington Stoke
Abi’s life is wonderful. But then she has to say goodbye to her old house, her old school and her old best friend. The only special thing she has left is a snow globe from her gran. Can the snow globe help Abi find new friends?

Information for Adults: This book has a dyslexia-friendly layout, typeface and paperstock so that even more readers can enjoy it. It has been edited to a reading age of 8.
It features a removable ‘super-readable’ sticker.

Nayu's thoughts 
I've never known such an important snow globe! It signifies so much to Abi on a personal level, and what happens to it throughout the story has a deep and lasting impact on Abi's new friendships. What I love about Jean's work is that I frequently have no clue what's coming next in the story, leaving plenty of twists for me. 

I liked the alternate look at friendship Abi's life explores, how true friends are hard to find and not always who you think they are. The illustrations bring an extra dimension to Abi, who I frequently felt sorry and uncomfortable for. Because of her friendship choices she suffers a little at home with her parents having views on her friends too. I promise it has a happy ending! It's firmly sat on my reread shelf. 

Find out more on Jean's website and Charlie's website.

Suggested read

No comments: