Tuesday 13 September 2016

My First Words in Yoruba by Segilola Salami (Children's, Non-Fiction, 10/10E)

 July 2016, Segilola Publishing, Ebook, Review copy
 
Book summary
My First Words In Yoruba is a cute little illustrated book with a toddler's first words in both Yoruba and English.
With close to 50 pictures, organised into topics from names of food to names of places amongst others, it is sure to grab any toddler's attention

When read together with an adult, a toddler would love learning new words in Yoruba

Nayu's thoughts
This is a useful tool for teaching a child Yoruba. Common words are covered like main parts of the body and family. The pictures bring the book to life, I especially liked the super cute red shoe.
I'm quite sure many readers will like these!
There isn't a pronounciation guide, but it is made clear from the start this is a companion to an adult teaching a child Yoruba, rather than a teach yourself book. As someone who enjoys learning languages I liked looking at how the Yoruba worda were spelled, even though I had no clue how to pronouce them. I would have liked a few more words in there, but maybe that will come in a sequel. 

Find out more on Segilola's website

Suggested read
Segilola has written several children's books including Yetunde by Segilola Salami (Children's, Folktales, 9/10E)

No comments: