Friday 16 September 2016

The Canal Boat Cafe by Cressida McLaughlin, narrated by Jessica Ball (Audiobook, Contemporary, Romance, 10/10E, short 'n' sweet review)


Gorgeous front and back cover which doesn't quite get seen in the audiobook version
Until this review I hadn't realised the individual novellas would look like this when put together! Sorry it's grainy, found this on  Google. It's gorgeous!!!!
July 2016, HarperCollins Publishers, 13 hours & 13 minutes, Audiobook, Review copy from Audible UK

Summary from Audible
 Summer Freeman returns to the waterside village of Willowbeck to rescue the Canal Boat Café, her late mother's picturesque narrowboat, which has run into choppy waters. A family friend, Valerie, has been trying to keep things afloat, but the coffee machine is jammed, the cake offerings are paltry, and not all of the locals want to see the café succeed. 

Help comes from the boat next door, in the shape of handsome wildlife photographer, Mason, and his naughty border terrier, who are showing more than a passing interest in Summer and her adorable bichon frise, Latte. But is Mason being honest about himself? Or does he have something to hide?

As her life and the community of Willowbeck begin to entwine, Summer finds herself setting sail on a new adventure. Will the anchor of a steady life on land be too strong, or can Summer learn to cut loose and embrace life afloat?

Nayu's thoughts 
I'm so glad I could read/listen this in one volume, rather than the 4 parts it was originally in it's ebook form. I'd have been so frustrated at needing to know what happens at the end of one of the parts that it would have ended up with a lower grade! I loved the whole concept of Summer taking on her mother's cafe, making it her own with a lot of ups and downs while doing so. I loved the way her new home had different dimensions to what she was used to, how she met so many people because of it.

It's a case where I love fiction more than reality, since I hate being on a boat/near water, which Summer has no issue with. Summer is lovable for the mistakes she makes. I absolutely hated one of the characters, who made me frustrated that Summer couldn't be left alone, and horrified when some home truths came out. I was as shocked as Summer, and that's all I can say without giving a spoiler. Summer manages to clash majorly with her new friends, which leads her literally up the river (canal, and it may have been down in direction, but that's not important.) 

I love how canal life worked it's magic on Summer, how happy she was when she wasn't stressed and with a certain person I wanted to shove in the canal repeatedly. Her heart gets hugged and chewed in equal measure, but I promise the very end is a happy ever after moment. I felt warm and strong after reading Summer's tale, and I'm eager to reread it (or should that be relisten?) 

No comments: