Thursday 15 September 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child by John Tiffany and Jack Thorne (Young Adult, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)


 July 2016, Pottermore, 343 pages, Ebook, Review copy from Sainsbury's Entertainment Ebooks
 
Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on 30th July 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.

Nayu's thoughts
Wow. Just wow. I'd heard readers are divided as to whether they love or loathe this final installment in the Harry Potter series, but I hadn't read any reviews so came to this book unbiased. I knew it was a play script, and not exactly written by JK Rowling, so I wasn't expecting what I've since read that readers were disappointed by the lack of description. Any hesitation over that issue vanished after page 2-I was drawn into the play as easily as Hermione finds exams. Yes, the character had changed a bit, but that's part of becoming older, so unlike some readers the realism didn't phase me. In fact I liked seeing character flaws exposed because it made them more true to life. Being an adult doesn't mean being right all the time and never making mistakes. Quite the opposite, as Harry finds out with Albus. Sometimes doing the wrong thing helps is the only way for things to work out for the best. 

I loved the dynamic of Ron and Hermione, and sincerely wish Rose and Lily could have their own series: they are fun to be around as children of Ron/Hermne & Harry/Ginny. I love how familiar elements of previous books are woven in seamlessly, including thr Hogwarts express and sorting hat. A lot of emotions are explored through both the parent and the children's eyes. I loved the alternate possibilities of what may have happened if certain events had been different, which included a very scary world with Voldemort tormenting muggles. 

I absolutely hate the freaky cover, but please don't be put off as you will be returning home to familiar characters as well as new ones. I can't watch the films as they are too dark for me, so I know the play would be even if I could get tickets, so I'm thrilled the script got printed. This will definitely be reread once I make my way through the Harry Potter series-got the French versiom as that's the one which introduced me to Harry.

Find out more about Sainsbury's Entertainment on their blog

No comments: