Tuesday 19 July 2016

Paper Butterflies by Lisa Heathfield (Young Adult, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

This non fluffy bunnies cover should have clued me in to the content.
June 2016, Electric Monkey, 320 pages, Review copy 

Summary from Egmont
June's life at home with her stepmother and stepsister is a dark one - and a secret one. Not even her father knows about it. She's trapped like a butterfly in a net. 

But then she meets Blister, a boy in the woods. And in him, June recognises the tiniest glimmer of hope that perhaps she can find a way to fly far, far away from home and be free. Because every creature in this world deserves their freedom . . . but at what price?

Nayu's thoughts 
I wish I had stopped reading early on, when the horrific child abuse happened. It's so engrossing, and thanks to the After chapters that were dotted around the Before chapters I thought it would be a happy ever after of someone thriving after being in such a toxic environment. Erm no. Just no.

I'm not going into what happens, as it is shocking and had a huge impact on me as a reader. This is the kind of book I'm trying to avoid because it makes me think of all those children who are abused, who no one believes, some of who will die from their abuse, others will get free. You may be asking why I give it top marks, and the reason is I couldn't stop reading it. 

I wanted life to improve for June so much, I could even see it happen in my mind. Blister shows her true friendship, a real family life, and I thought the end would be happy. What does happen is written in such clarity and detail that it felt like I was June. It's made me think of all the people in June's position. While I wish I hadn't read it because of all the hard emotions I'm feeling, I'm glad I did because it goes to show that while it can be hard with chronic illness I  am free, and alive. I'm not where June is. 

Obviously I want a lot of people to read this book as Lisa's writing is amazing, ut make sure you have comfort food and drink beside you if you are prone to taking things to heart. I will look out for Lisa's other book, just not quite yet.

No comments: