Friday 20 May 2016

Little Grey Rabbit Goes to the Sea by Alison Uttley and Margaret Tempest (Children's, 5 years +, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 
5th May 2016, Templar, 48 pages, Hardback, Review copy 

Book summary
When Squirrel, Hare and Little Grey Rabbit come down with colds, their friends decide the only cure is a trip to the seaside. They pack a tent, a hamper and a bucket and spade and set off along the winding lanes to the sandy cove below the cliffs. It's not long before everyone is enjoying the bracing sea breeze and the rolling green tide. Water Rat and Hare swim in the shallows, Squirrel makes a cockleshell hat and dances near the waves. All of a sudden, mischievous seagulls descend; they steal Hare's red coat and Water Rat's frills! Will these naughty birds spoil the friends' special day out?

Nayu's thoughts
Another fabulous adventure with my favourite fictional bunny!) I dimly recall reading this particular LGR story when I was little, so it was fun to reread the finer details whivc I'd forgotten. I remembered how forgetful Hare is so how he, Little Grey Rabbit got a cold wasn't surprising. How they got to the sea was clever, I loved the idyllic way they got rid of their colds-if only a sea breeze could do that! 

I liked how prior to the trip why visiting their friends' homes wasn't practical, one of many countryside facts woven into the story. I was amused by how one of my favourite pics of squirrel dancing around proved invaluable to beating the thieving seagulls-yet again LGR shows her bravery, though it's squirrel who is the main heroine. Yet another delightful read from my childhood to treasure! 

Suggested read




No comments: