Monday 25 April 2016

Yetunde: An Ode To My Mother by Segilola Salami (Contemporary fiction, Children's, Folktales, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 March 2016, Segilola Publishing, 28 pages, Ebook, Review copy

Book summary
Death is wicked . . .

Follow Yetunde as she narrates her mother's ode to her grandmother. It is the Yoruba praise poetry for a mother known as Oriki Iya

This is a short story dedicated to past, present and future mothers. 

Nayu's thoughts
I defy people to read this mother themed book without getting a lump in their throat. I'm enjoying watching Yetunde grow up a little from her previous book, Yetunde, some of the statements she says are profound and heart warming. It examines what its like to be a mother teaching a child about her home county, and also coping with grief of losing her own mother. It must be so hard bringing up a child without having your mother their to give wisdom and advice I think many readers will be able to relate to this. It was fun when chocolate cake appeared as it's a familiar food for me, unlike some of the other dishes mentioned. Oh, I must mention the book is currently free!

Find out more on Segilola's website


No comments: