Saturday 16 April 2016

Tacky the Dolphin by E. K. Lea (Children's, 7 years +, 9/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 October 2013, Maggie Lea, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Book summary
Emma chooses a dolphin shaped balloon from a street seller. Or does the dolphin choose her? Then they go on a great adventure. Or do they? 

Nayu's thoughts
Tacky's name seems appropriate as it's not something I had when I was little, but the concept and range of emotions behind the story is varied and imaginative. I love how Tacky comes to life, and how a part of where Emma goes on an adventure with Tacky returns with her in real life. 

Her mum's reaction at a certain point is both realistic and something I could relate to despite never having such a magical balloon. As for the illustrations, they aren't my preferred style so they brought the grade down, but the level of detail is immense, it's easy to stare at it for minutes and imagine the world where Emma lives.

No comments: