Saturday 13 February 2016

A Fistful of Evil by Rebecca Chastain (Urban Fantasy, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 August 2014, Mind Your Muse Books, 294 pages, Ebook, Review copy 

Content: mild romance, fighting, magic, lots of humour

Book summary
Madison Fox just learned that her ability to see souls is more than a sight: It’s a weapon for fighting evil. The only problem is she doesn’t have a clue what she’s doing.

On the positive side, her money problems are over, she’s possibly discovered her purpose in life, and her coworker is smoking hot. On the negative side, evil creatures now actively hunt her, and deadly experiences are becoming the norm.

When she thinks it couldn’t get worse, a powerful evil sets up shop at a local hotel’s video game convention, and it’s got its eye on more than the gaming geeks—it's hungry for Madison’s soul. Madison needs to become an expert illuminant enforcer overnight to save her job, her region . . . and her life. 


Nayu's thoughts 
This is so unbelievably awesome! Wow oh wow! I could continue with the superlatives (right word?) but I'm supposed to be reviewing this, not just being a fangirl, which I am. This is exactly the type of urban fantasy I love. There's danger, obviously, but there's so much humour that I don't care (much) quite how much peril Madison gets in. She is clueless about her special talents, which makes it enjoyable to watch her develop her gifts because she makes a lot of mistakes. I find this makes her more easy to relate to, as although there's nothing supernatural about me (not even in how fast I can get through books, it's called lots of reading practice), in everything I've started out in I've made mistakes. Some bigger than others. 

I loved how it focuses more on her character than a huge romance, which made it a more enjoyable read for me. The creatures she faces are numerous and tough, but Madison gets inventive and she isn't always on her own either. 
 
I'm so glad I've got book 2 for review! Although I've banned myself from reading it until I've written this review so I don't muddle the two books up – when reading a series in a row sometimes it can be hard to recall what happened in each volume. I hope these books make it in to audiobook format (a great compliment as I love listening to books while I craft).

Find out more on Rebecca's website.

No comments: