Tuesday 12 January 2016

Sleeping Handsome and the Princess Engineer by Kay Woodward (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

August 2015, Curious Fox, 24 pages, Ebook, Review copy from NetGalley

Content: lots of danger, girl power, & humour

Summary from Curious Fox 
Prince Jack is strong, rich, a top trampolinist and very, very handsome … but he is also cursed. When he is pricked by a sword he, and his whole castle, fall sound alseep. It's up to the Princess Engineer to come and save the day.
Nayu's thoughts
I love Kay's older books so whooped when I spotted this picture book. As expected, the Princess Engineer isn't a damsel in distress. She is more than capable of looking after herself, and tackles each problem she faces bravely. Her attitude towards Sleeping Handsome made me smile, as did the colourful illustrations which added to the humour and occasional danger. I love how Kay makes her characters the opposite of what they would be traditionally, if that makes sense. I want to reread this story already, and will definitely recommend it to friends. I'm eager to see what other picture books she creates!

Find out more on Kay's website

No comments: