Sunday 18 October 2015

Lorali by Laura Dockrill (Young Adult, unfinished, ungraded)


July 2015, Hot Key Books, 352 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: a fair amount of scary bits 

Summary from Hot Key Books
Colourful, raw, brave, rich and fantastical - this mermaid tale is not for the faint-hearted.

Looking after a naked girl he found washed up under Hastings pier isn't exactly how Rory had imagined spending his sixteenth birthday. But more surprising than finding her in the first place is discovering where she has come from.

Lorali is running not just from the sea, not just from her position as princess, but her entire destiny. Lorali has rejected life as a mermaid, and become human.

But along with Lorali's arrival, and the freak weather suddenly battering the coast, more strange visitors begin appearing in Rory's bemused Sussex town. With beautifully coiffed hair, sharp-collared shirts and a pirate ship shaped like a Tudor house, the Abelgare boys are a mystery all of their own. What are they really up to? Can Rory protect Lorali? And who from? And where does she really belong, anyway?

Nayu's thoughts 
After receiving a gorgeous shell as part of the publicity leading up to the launch of Lorali, I was super excited about the mermaid read. 

I received one similar to this. Picture source.
I adore mermaids at the moment, so it was easy to say yes to reviewing it. Unfortunately the story got too weird for me to continue, plus the point of view changes were choppy which annoyed me a lot. It's a great concept and I loved a lot of it, just not enough to keep going through the too scary-for-me parts which I suspect would only get scarier. To quote the summary, I must be faint-hearted!

Find out more on Laura's website.  

Available to buy from most bookstores including NRC affiliate Foyles.  

Suggested read
If you like mermaids try the awesome, not too dark for me  Forgive My Fins by Tera Lynn Childs (Young Adult, 10E/10E)

No comments: