Wednesday 22 July 2015

The Magic Straw Hat by Karen Jonice Bricker (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E )

The cover accurately captures the feel of the story
June 2015, SDP Publishing, 28 pages, Ebook, Review copy from NetGalley

Content: memories, adventure, magic, mild peril, tissues needed

Summary from SDP Publishing
The Magic Straw Hat is the story of a little girl named Caitie, who takes us on a journey full of adventure and excitement as she discovers her great-grandmother’s straw hat, and the magic it brings along for the ride. Drawing from her Irish roots and family memories, Karen Jonice Bricker combines the real experiences of three generations of women to tell the story of one enchanted afternoon.
Nayu's thoughts
I cried a little before I even read the story because the acknowledgements were extremely sweet and ones I could relate to. The tale itself is a fun one, with full colour pictures throughout the book, looking both at the past and the present. Caitie is a sweet girl, and reminded me of myself when I wanted to take certain items with me out the house but, unlike Caitie, I wasn't allowed. I thought Caitie was doomed at one point to get into trouble for not taking better care of the hat (even thought she wasn't entirely to blame for what happened), but it does end very well for her in the end. It's a feel good story which I'll be rereading when my life needs a bit of magic in it. 

Find out more on Karen's website

Suggested read
Another magical tale - this time involving time travel can be found in Emerson's Attic: The Blue Velvet by Kathleen Andrews Davis (Children's, 9 years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: