Thursday 11 June 2015

A Simple Prayer by Amy Clipston (Amish Fiction, Romance, Christian Romance, 10/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

I love Amish books!
 4th June, Zondervan, 336 pages, Ebook, Review copy from NetGalley
 
Content: family life, Amish life, humour, tissue needed
Summary from Zondervan
Linda is no stranger to hardship. Now she dares to hope for a chance at love and a new beginning.

As the sole survivor of a buggy accident that left her orphaned at age four, Linda Zook was reluctantly raised by her Uncle Reuben. She longs to be worthy of someone, but the lasting trauma of her injuries and embittered upbringing have destroyed her self-worth. When Hannah Peterson asks her to work at the Heart of Paradise Bed & Breakfast, she’s finally able to realize some confidence.

Aaron Ebersol left the Amish community seventeen years ago when he could no longer bear the restrictions or the constant tension with his father. Despite years of unanswered letters to his parents, and the roots he’s put down in Missouri, Aaron rushes back to the Amish community of Paradise, Pennsylvania, after receiving word of his mother’s stroke. Hesitant to get too close to the family he was once a part of, he decides to stay at the Heart of Paradise Bed & Breakfast. Talking with Linda allows him to explore his feelings about his family and his position in the Amish community.

As Linda and Aaron open up to each other, their feelings for one another turn into more than friendship, and Aaron must make a decision about his future as an Amish man.

Can Linda and Aaron forgive the family members who have deceived and forsaken them? And will Aaron be able to convince Linda that she is worthy of his love?


Nayu's thoughts
My reviews for Amy's book are all along the same lines of this book is amazing! And it is. I didn't realise how powerful the title is until I reached the part in the story where the title's meaning is made clear, an incident that had me going 'wow' a lot after reading it. It's in the same enjoyable style of Amy's other Amish books, with emphasis on family and personal growth as well as many details about Amish life. 

I have to say that despite this being the final book in a series which I haven't yet read, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything major. I quickly got to both love and hate various characters, who it turns out had reasons for being so nasty. The almost perfect grade is because I really do prefer female protagonists (I just don't get guy thoughts), but after a while of me being unnecessarily annoyed Aaron (it's not his fault he's male), I did enjoy watching him figure out how to overcome the hostility from certain family members. He was gentle, and kept showing them his best side, trying to show that he had changed as a person since he ran away from home. 

Linda's situation broke my heart because she is such a sweet girl, yet her uncle is a right so-and-so who doesn't deserve her. There are many shocking twists in store for both her and Aaron, and even I was rooting for them both at the end. I'm definitely adding the previous books in the series to my wish list!

No comments: