Friday 19 June 2015

A New Baby Story: Aren't You Lucky? by Catherine and Laurence Anholt (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E, short 'n' sweet review)

 March 2015, Red Fox Books, 32 pages, Paperback, Review copy
 
Content: humour

When a little brother or sister comes along, everyone is excited... everyone except one little person who can't quite understand why everything has changed.

Follow the tale of one older sibling who learns that having a baby brother or sister can be truly magical - aren't they lucky!


Nayu's thoughts 
This book should have a warning on the cover - I nearly spat out my drink when I read the child's reaction to their new little brother! A humourous account of the trials of having a new sibling. I may be the youngest in my family, but I appreciated how hard it was on the child, how at first their little brother does nothing but take up their parents' time which used to be spent on them.

The illustrations are a cute style, as well as being clever too. I suspect this next part was done on purpose, but the gender of the child seems unknown. I flicked back once I'd read the book, trying to figure out if it's a boy or a girl, but both the haircut and clothes indicate it could be either. This is clever because it makes the book appeal to every reader, rather than obviously being a girl or boy which girls and boys sometimes relate more to if a character is the same gender. 

Find out more on Catherine and Laurence's website

No comments: