Sunday 1 June 2014

Model Under Cover: A Crime of Fashion by Carina Axelsson (Children's, 10 years +, 9/10E)


February 2014, Usborne, 368 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Themes: mysteries, fashion fails, being unwillingly submersed in the fashion world, kidnapping, stealing, snooping,  work experience, overwhelming parents, family secrets
 
Content: Lots of tension, moderate major peril, embarrassment, lots of humour

Summary from Usborne
Despite her long legs and fashion-obsessed family, all Axelle wants to do is solve mysteries. So when star designer Belle La Lune vanishes, Axelle seizes the chance to go undercover as a model to crack the case – even if it means being tortured with eyelash-curlers and teetering on sky-high heels. Aided by the distractingly gorgeous Sebastian, Axelle races against the clock to solve the mystery at the heart of Paris Fashion Week...

Nayuleska's thoughts
I think I'm so interested in Axelle's crazy adventure in fashion because it is one of many areas of life that I know so little about. I thought it was amazing that her aunt had so many connections that she could become a model, a feat that seemed impossible at first due to reasons which are hinted at but never get revealed by the end. As someone who can't always read between the lines this and the fact that I'd figured out the culprit and part of the kidnapping early on meant this book missed s perfect grade.

Don't get me wrong, I loved Axelle discovering what life as a model was like. Her friendship with Ellie was believable and sweet to witness. I loved Axelle's view on life, especially when she still didn't see the point of fashion and doctored what must have been an expensive outfit to her own more practical tastes, as well as the hair incident which I can't divulge as it's a fun story twist. I was frustrated at how the book ended in a good way because it leads into book 2 which isn't out yet!! I will definitely be reading Axelle's next adventure which I'm sure will be as entertaining and riveting as this one.

Find out more on Carina's website.

Suggested read
For more mystery and insight into modelling check out Nikki's life in Airhead by Meg Cabot (Young Adult, 9/10E)
I've actually got a totally different cover but I much prefer this one! More age-appropriate clothing too.l

No comments: