Tuesday 25 March 2014

Emma and the Princess by Peter Steinberg (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)


January 2014, 18 pages, ebook, Review copy

Themes: playtime, imagination, helping princesses, being a knight, evil creature, stolen treasure, dreams
   
Summary from Amazon (I don't gain anything by mentioning them) 
Emma wants to be a knight more than anything else. The kind who spends his [Nayu: or her!] time rescuing princesses and fighting monsters. One night Emma sets out on a journey hoping that she might find a real princess who needs her help. 

Nayuleska's thoughts
*grins* There's a golden pretzel for Emma to rescue!! There are other treasures stolen from the princess, but I adore pretzels of the non-golden, edible variety so this part of the story made me squeeee! I loved how seamlessly Emma went from being awake in her room to heading out on her adventure-I had no idea it was a dream. I love Emma's courage to keep going even when things got a bit scary, her bravery is as great as her problem solving capabilities.

Alongside the story are the beautiful colour illustrations. They made me go aw a lot with the cuteness of Emma, the expressions of all those she meets, and the strong positive vibe that radiates from the pages. I wanted to be Emma, especially with her red cape, but I'm not as brave as she is in the dark! The source of the eyes in the castle was a shock, one that made me giggle too. I hope there will be more adventures for Emma!
 
Suggested read
For more night time adventures check out Goodnight Princess by Michelle Robinson and Nick East (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E) 

No comments: