Thursday 13 February 2014

Princess Ponies: Best Friends Forever by Chloe Ryder (Children's, 7 years +, 10/10E)



January 2014, Bloomsbury, 128 pages, Paperback, Review copy

Themes: magical land, talking ponies and unicorns, fear, saving the day, traps, family ties,
 
Content: Moderate to major peril, lots of edge of the seat stunts, tissue needed

Summary from Bloomsbury
Chevalia is an enchanted island where ponies and horses rule, its magic powered by eight golden horseshoes hanging in the royal castle. But the horseshoes have been stolen and must be found before Midsummer Day or the island will lose its magic . . .

In Best Friends For Ever! It's Midsummer Day and Pippa and Princess Stardust are going on a very important journey to find the final golden horseshoe. It will take them to a dangerous part of the island, and they must be braver than ever before. The future of Chevalia is at stake.

Nayuleska's thoughts
Just as I hoped the end to this cute, fun series made me reach for a tissue. I haven't quite read all the books but the recaps are put in such a way it felt like I hadn't missed out on a single bit of action. The stakes are higher than ever for Pippa and Stardust who work superbly as a team, gaining help from all the other ponies - and I mean ALL ponies! There was a real sense of despair from the royal ponies, which Pippa held but kept being cheerful to give her four legged friends hope. Her bravery is phenomenal considering how much she hates heights.

 I love how all her friends from the series help her in the grand showdown which I read barely breathing. I was as sad as Pippa when she had to say goodbye to everyone - I wish there will be another series with her and Stardust! Being able to touch noses and grow wings (ponies only) was my favourite skill in the book. I enjoyed seeing Pippa's pretty outfits too. Readers have 8 horseshoes of their own to cut out and use on anything they like. 

Edited to add: While looking on Bloomsbury's website for the necessary info of this book, I've discovered there are a whopping 14 books in this series! This book is #6, so there are plenty more adventures to be had - MEGA SQUEE!

Find out more on Chloe's website.

Suggested read
Start the series from the beginning in Princess Ponies: A Magical Friend (2nd book down) (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E) 

No comments: