Wednesday 11 December 2013

I Want A Pet by Lauren Child (Children's, Picture book, 10E/10E)



Special mini edition October 2013, Frances Lincoln, 24 pages, Review copy

Summary: Wanting a pet, animal characteristics, reasons not to have certain animals, discussion

Themes: lots of humour

Summary from Frances Lincoln
This little girl really wants a pet. But what kind should she get? After all, lions have a habit of snacking between meals and boa constrictors are a little too friendly . . .

Nayuleska's thoughts
I requested this book for review as so many readers can relate to wanting a pet. I have two cute birds (a zebra finch and a bengalese finch), a cat with an elephant attitude, and my family has fish. I had other pets when I was younger, and want lots more pets that I can't yet have like the girl in the story. I'd love a wolf if they were quieter and friendlier, ditto for bats which I think are cute and adorable. There's an aquatic animal the girl wants which I'd never considered, but it would make a cool pet. The illustration style added to the humourous read. I adore how tiny this book is - apparently it's been made to celebrate 15 years of it being in print, which is pretty awesome as it's small enough to slip easily in a bag.

Check out more on Lauren's website.

Suggested read
Another story about pets is Eddie and Dog by Alison Brown (Children's, Picture book, 10/10E)

No comments: