Saturday 23 November 2013

The Reindeer Girl by Holly Webb (Children's, 7 years +, 10E/10E)


 September 2013, Stripes Publishing, 192 pages, Hardback, Review copy



Themes: Norway, traditional way of Sami life, reindeer herders, visiting relatives, strange dreams, learning new skills, caring for animals, living outdoors, encountering wolves, protecting the innocent

Content: lots of compassion, occasional major peril, a tissue is needed

Summary from Stripes Publishing 
One Christmas, Lotta is visiting her great-grandmother in Norway. Soon, she finds herself drawn into a magical adventure – travelling by sledge, herding reindeer from the snowy mountains to the summer pastures. But when a mother reindeer is lost, Lotta must find her before her calf starves…

Nayuleska's thoughts 
Holly's books always have a wow factor and this one is no exception. If you think the cover is cute you will adore the illustrations which are cute and cosy. As ever I love the traditional clothes Lotta gets to wear. The experience she has is unique, a little mystical and definitely riviting. My heart was in my mouth on several occasions-Lotta displays a courage and strength I don't think even she thought she had within her. The end was a true surprise and it made me teary too. I think I've seen the Sami in a documentary - their lives are harsh but they have a little fun and love their animals dearly. I will never look at my Bengalese finch Flower in the same way, now I've read about Flower the reindeer!

Find out more over at Holly's website.

Suggested read
Another cosy winter read is The Snow Bear also by Holly! (Children's, 5  years +, 10E/10E)

No comments: