Monday 26 August 2013

The Bone Season by Samantha Shannon (Young Adult, 9/10)


20th August 2013, Bloomsbury, 460 pages, Hardback, Review copy,  Short ‘n’ Sweet review  

Summary from Bloomsbury 
The year is 2059. Nineteen-year-old Paige Mahoney is working in the criminal underworld of Scion London, based at Seven Dials, employed by a man named Jaxon Hall. Her job: to scout for information by breaking into people’s minds. For Paige is a dreamwalker, a clairvoyant and, in the world of Scion, she commits treason simply by breathing.

It is raining the day her life changes for ever. Attacked, drugged and kidnapped, Paige is transported to Oxford – a city kept secret for two hundred years, controlled by a powerful, otherworldly race. Paige is assigned to Warden, a Rephaite with mysterious motives. He is her master. Her trainer. Her natural enemy. But if Paige wants to regain her freedom she must allow herself to be nurtured in this prison where she is meant to die.

Nayuleska's thoughts 
I used the press release sheet as a page marker at the end of the 3rd chapter, because despite how awesome Paige's adventure sounded, upon seeing the size of the proof copy, as well as the charts at the start of the book I thought it would be too complex an epic tale for me to follow in my usual sleepy state. I'm glad I shot passed chapter 4 and kept going until the thrilling finale - there's not too much brutality or romance, and Paige has feelings and isn't cold-hearted, unlike her adversaries who will give the chief villainess in Melissa Meyer's Cinder competition in cruelty, and match K. C. Rivers' bizarre tenderness of Evanthe's captor in The Prince of Light by K. C. Rivers. (I rarely mention other books before the suggested read part of the post - I had to in this case as they were the two books I instantly thought about).

You can find out more on the official website as well as Samantha's blog.

Suggested reads 
Well, I think you know which books I'm going to suggest! Cinder by Melissa Meyer
Love this book!

The Prince of Light by K. C. Rivers
One of my favourite reads

No comments: