Thursday 30 May 2013

May Review Mix #6 Children's, 7 years + part 1 (7/10, 9/10, 10/10, 10/10E)

An anime girl going crazy - not quite sure what's in the bottle

Evening all! I'm a bit bouncy as I'm now off work for a week! Hoping to get lots of editing & reading done - so long as my body cooperates. The jury's out on that for now...
Moving on to today's post - I've got a bunch of super fun books for 7 year olds (& older, obviously). Let's get started!

Spell Sisters Chloe the Storm Sister by Amber Castle, Children's, 7 years +, 10/10E 
 March 2013, Simon and Schuster, 160 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: some humour, lots of peril, very mild & sweet romance, tissues needed.

Summary from Simon and Schuster
When eleven-year-old Gwen ventures into the forest beyond her castle home she comes across the magical island of Avalon and her life changes forever. The lady of the lake, Nineve, asks Gwen to embark on a quest to protect the enchanted island of Avalon from the evil sorceress Morgana Le Fay. Morgana has imprisoned the eight Spell Sisters of Avalon throughout the kingdom and stolen their magical powers. It's up to Gwen, her best friend Flora and a very special horse named Moonlight to find the sisters and return them to Avalon before its magic is lost forever.
 
In the final adventure of the series Gwen and her cousin Flora are charged with the rescue of Chloe the magical sister who controls the weather and finally have to face Morgana Le Fay herself!

Nayuleska's thoughts 
WOW! I'd hoped the final book would be good, but this was an incredible showdown. I was taken aback (in a good way) by what Morgana did to ensure she prospered (or so she thought - ha!) I cried when it ended because I didn't want it to end, and it was just so beautiful. I expected the end to be positive (it was unlikely to be a Morgana victory) - it was, but it was very bittersweet because the girls had to say goodbye to their magical friends. Definitely make sure you have some tissues to hand! I hope there's a spin off series *looks hopeful* Please? 

The Sleepwalkers by Viviane Schwarz, 7/10 
April 2013, Walker Books, 96 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: mild to moderate perli. 

Summary from Walker 
When you are afraid to fall asleep, when all your dreams are nightmares, write us a letter, put it under your pillow, we will rescue you... It is almost time for the old and tired Sleepwalkers to return to the waking world. But before they go, they must conjure and train three new replacements. For who else will look after the Sleepwalking House and be there to answer the call of a child frozen stiff with fear, trapped in a nightmare? This is the story of the NEW Sleepwalkers... Filled with action and adventure, and all things that go bump in the night, three brave new heroes tackle the weird and the wild in this uplifting and reassuring story about pulling together as a team and having the confidence to stand up to your fears.

Nayuleska's thoughts 
I'm not sure exactly what I expected this book to be like, but it wasn't what I expected. It was weird in a bad way for me, but that could be a good weird for other readers. It was a bit freaky, and quite scary in parts.The world got topsty-turvy, strange creatures were created from ordinary objects...the plot was solid and definitely full of twists. Just not for me.  It possibly added to my fears rather than eased them!
(Not what I expected, pretty weird)

Ellie May is Totally Happy to Share Her Space in the Spotlight by Marianne Levy,  9/10 
No she isn't!!!!
 April 2013, Egmont, 224 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: lots of humour 

Summary from Egmont 
Dear Everybody,

I’m an incredibly famous film star! Everyone knows who I am, even Eskimos and people in France.
And I’ve just made friends with an amazingly beautiful model. In fact, she’s going to be in my next film!

Jeffrey’s worried I won’t like sharing the spotlight. But I’m sure it’ll be fine. After all, I always share my fudge cake.

Well, almost always, anyway...

Love,
Ellie May xxx

Nayuleska's thoughts
Ellie May is quite a girl - I found myself getting blown away by just how much she is convinced the world - no, the universe - revolves around her. She finds it hard when no one pays attention to her - she tries to make herself important - it was a bit painful to watch because she couldn't see how much a pain she was being. I felt sorry for her - although she does bounce back quickly so it's a happy ending!

Goliath the Rescue Horse by Pippa Funnell, 10/10 
5th May 2013, Orion Children's Books, 116 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Summary from Orion
Meet Tilly Redbrow, who doesn't just love horses - she lives, breathes and dreams them too!

At World Horse Welfare, Tilly meets neglected shire horse Goliath, and she's determined to help him find a new home.

Nayuleska's thoughts 
Horse rescue stories always involve incredible people, and Tilly is one of them. She may be little disobedient but that's because she has a huge heart and a natural talent for calming horses. I especially liked the diagram of horse as it was interesting to see what each area is called.

Buttons the Naughty Pony by Pippa Funnell, 10/10
July 2011, Orion Children's Books, 112 pages, Paperback, Review copy 

Content: you'll need a tissue. 

Summary from Orion
Meet Tilly Redbrow, who doesn't just love horses - she lives, breathes and dreams them too!

Naughty pony Buttons is coming to Silver Shoe Farm because his owner, Tim, just doesn't know what to do with him. They need Tilly's help - and fast!

Nayuleska's thoughts
Tim loves Buttons to bits, but Buttons severe attitude problem hurts him so much he has to consider getting a different pony. Tilly is heartbroken at the thought of the pair being split up, so works hard to get Buttons behaving. She learns there are different ways of riding a horse, and Tim learns different doesn't mean boring, both important lessons. I love the bonds between pony and rider.

Because I have so many in this category to put up, there will be a part 2 post tomorrow! It's time for me to rest up. See you soon! 

All non-book pictures are taken from the internet, quotes are by me, Nayu.

"Night!"

No comments: