Sunday 18 November 2012

Stanley Stickle Hates Homework by Trevor Forest (Children's, 7 years +, 7/10)




 
September 2012, Createspace
38 pages, Paperback
Review copy
 
Themes: disliking homework, outrageous plans, different ways to be ill, the grass, is not greener on the other side, friendship, school life, lots of humour (some of it boy humour)
 
Summary from Amazon (I don't benefit from mentioning them)
 
Stanley Stickle HATES homework and he'll do almost anything to get out of doing it. In Stanley Stickle HATES homework, Stanley discovers that there is a Big Test coming up at school.To prepare for the Big Test everyone is to be given EXTRA homework and Stanley thinks he gets too much of it already. Stanley hatches a cunning plan to get out of doing the test but when his master plan fails he becomes increasingly desperate.
 
Nayuleska's thoughts
 
As someone who nearly always did their homework I found it interesting to see life from Stanley's point of view. The methods he uses to get ill are pretty clever if rather gross. I like how he keeps being foiled by certain people.
 
This gets 7/10 because of one too many spelling and punctuation issues, because not all the plots in the story are resolved. I see how one is part of another book, however it was a pretty major part of the story which is why I was surprised it wasn't resolved on some level by the end. The end came upon me suddenly - I even reread it to check I hadn't missed the clues that the story was finishing. Other than that it's a fun, easy read which helps teach the lesson that things are never as bad or as good as they seem.
 
You can find out more on Trevor's website.
 
Suggested read
 
For a tale about another mischievous boy try Alien In My Bellybutton by Jimmy Mars 


No comments: