Friday 19 October 2012

Leaving Poppy by Kate Cann (Young Adult, 10/10)



New edition 4th October 2012, Scholastic
364 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: emotional abuse, disturbed minds, family ties, fear, what gives people power over others, mild teen romance, inner strength, finding yourself, finding a perfect job that uses your talents, extremely and supremely scary moments

Summary from Scholastic

A haunting psychological thriller from one of Britain ’s finest writers for teenage girls. Sometimes leaving home is scarier than you think. .

Nayuleska's thoughts

I'm so proud that I finished this book, as I'm easily spooked and have issues with spirits and stuff. However, I kept going because I love Amber. She has to deal with so much emotional abuse, which is horrid to read because I know worse happens in real life. I wanted to take her away, give her some cake with hot chocolate and keep her safe. She does that on her own by being herself.

She makes great friends, discovers her own talent and uses it for her job which is enjoyable. She positively sparkled with confidence at the end (yes it reminds me of Dia from the anime Shugo Chara who is Amu's inner radiance, helping others believe in themselves. Thinking of Dia made the book a little less scary.).
 Freaky is an understatement for what goes on in the book, but I got through it as there was a logical explanation and it all got dealt with, no plot ends untied in this 10/10 read!

You can find out more on Kate's website.

Suggested read

For another neck-chilling read check out Devilish by Maureen Johnson 

No comments: