Wednesday 19 September 2012

Secrets, Lies & Locker 62 by Lil Chase (Young Adult, 8/10)



6th September 2012, Quercus
298 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: school life, bullies, mean girls, deception, lies, setting things right, crossing lines of morality, things spiralling out of control, some teen romance, a little humour

Summary from Quercus

Secrets have a special home at Mount Selwyn High. For years, students have posted their deepest desires and fears in Locker 62.

And then this locker is assigned to new girl Maya. She could use the knowledge to help people.

Or she could use it to become popular.

Maya, who was bullied, who has never been cool, who will do anything to be popular, is now the most powerful girl at school. What will she choose to do next?

Nayuleska's thoughts

It took me a while to figure out the grade for this book. On the one hand it's 10/10 because the emotions captured are compelling, Maya makes some wrong decisions that had me wanting to yell 'stupid girl' at the book and its extremely realistic how Maya's current & new friendships develop.

I'm then at odds with myself because I couldn't identify all that well with Maya and the choices she makes. There are several points where she is a prime example of how not to treat people.

I think 8/10 is a compromise to both my views. It's definitely a journey of self-discovery for Maya, one which I mostly understood even if I couldn't relate or like parts of it.

You can find out more on Lil's website.

Suggested read

For a book where things go extremely wrong in people of few(ish) morals try Fury by Elizabeth Miles, the book where I'm rooting for the antagonist.

No comments: