Thursday 17 May 2012

My Big Shouting Day by Rebecca Patterson (Children's, Picture book)

3rd May 2012, Jonathan Cap3
32 pages, Paperback
Review copy

Themes: misbehaving, having a bad day, being in a mood, disrespecting people, having no cares for anyone else, calming down, lots of humour

Summary from Random House Children's Publishing
'Yesterday I woke up and Bob was crawling around MY ROOM, licking MY JEWELLERY, so I shouted GET OUT OF MY ROOM! and that was the start of MY BIG SHOUTING DAY...'

Bella is having one of
those days - her biscuit is broken, she has a hurting foot and ballet is TOOOO itchy for words. All she can do is shout! But by the end of the day, when she's all tired out from being shouty, Bella knows there's one magic word and one magic mummy to make things better again...

Nayuleska's thoughts
I know none of you will believe me, but I used to get into a right state when I was little. Bella's stubborn nature in being unhappy with everything competed with my refusal to wear an apron at playschool. I laughed a lot while I read this, because its funny how every person and even every toy looks in the direction where Bella is. My favourite toy is the bunny, and I love how cute Bob the baby is in his pyjamas. Both of those aspects are in the first illustration of Bella misbehaving in the street and all the neighbours looking disapproving, which changes to the opposite situation at the end of the book, adding more humour to this 10/10 read.

Suggested read
Why not read about another mischievous girl try Don't Want To Go! by Shirley Hughes (3rd book down)

No comments: